MAE 3040: Mechanics of Solids (Fall 2015, Fall 2016, Fall 2017)
Stress, strain, and deflection due to flexure and shear. Combined stresses, instability, nonsymmetric bending, torsion, and energy methods.
Prerequisites: Strength of Materials (ENGR 2140), must be in the professional engineering program.
Text: Advanced Strength of Materials, 6th Edition, Arthur P. Boresi & Richard J. Schmidt, Wiley, 2003.
Audience: Junior-level required course.
MAE 5040: Experimental Solid Mechanics (Spring 2015, Fall 2016, Fall 2017)
(Formerly MAE 5930: Special Topics.) Measurement of stress, strain, and related quantities. Topics include strain gauges, optical techniques, digital image correlation, dynamic measurements, and nanoscale measurements.
Prerequisites: Mechanics of Solids (MAE 3040), Instrumentation and Measurements (MAE 3340).
Text: Experimental Solid Mechanics, 2nd Edition, Arun Shukla & James Dally, College House Enterprises, 2014.
Audience: Senior elective and entry-level graduate course.
NOTE: This class is cross-listed as MAE 6930: Special Topics, exclusively for graduate students. The two sections meet at the same time and have all the same lectures, but the 6930 students have an additional term project.
MAE 6930: Micro-Mechanics of Materials (Spring 2018)
Graduate elective which covers the overlap between material science and solid mechanics. Deformation of single crystals, slip in poly-crystals, dislocation motion, strengthening & toughening mechanisms, fracture, fatigue, and creep.
Prerequisites: Mechanics of Solids (MAE 3040), Material Science (MAE 2160).
Text: Mechanical Behavior of Materials, Second Edition, Thomas H. Courtney, Waveland Press, 2000.
Audience: Graduate students only.
Other Recommended Courses
- MAE 5020: Finite Element Methods in Solid Mechanics I (Folkman)
- MAE 5060: Mechanics of Composite Materials I (Fronk)
- MAE 5300: Vibrations (Fronk)
- MAE 5670/6930: Fracture Mechanics (Liu)
- MAE 6010: Finite Element Methods in Solid Mechanics II (Folkman)
- MAE 6040: Continuum Mechanics and Elasticity (Fronk)
- MAE 6070: Mechanics of Composite Materials II (Fronk)
- MAE 6420: Mechanical Engineering Experiments (Smith)
- MAE 6930: Materials Characterization (Roberts)